Sunday, November 24, 2013

Promote! Promote! Promote!

That is the mantra on the art discussion threads I have been reading. Have a blog! Send out tweets! Send out Facebook updates! Send out emails! Give your business card to everyone you meet! On the main website for my art - Bellesouth Studio -in the discussion area it's been stressed over and over to comment on other artists! Like their work! Moves you up in the ratings!

So, I started trying to do as much as I could - promote, promote, promote! And that's what I have been doing all month. Have I gotten any sales because of my work? Not yet. But I did get a relapse, and realization that I was becoming anxious about the whole thing. So, with prayer, I had to stop and regroup. Here are some things I realized:

*Yes, some promotion is vital, but I am not a "normal" so I pay.

*I pay with my energy - it was all being used up in these endeavors.

*I pay because I cannot create new art, my energy is gone.

*It takes time to create a following.

*Am I doing this to become rich and famous - no.

*What was my purpose in creating? To worship and praise God for my gift.

*I have to choose wisely about how I use what energy is given to me.

*One thing I cannot do, which is one of the best ways to promote, is to do art shows. I cannot set up, sit all day long, and break down everything. Perhaps I can find someone who would be willing to share my art in their space.

I've neglected my blog, I've neglected my art, and some art I have done has been the crummiest I've seen come out of my brush. They immediately got a coat of Gesso so I could start over.

So, find out what is best for you. There are no rigid rules. What is the most important thing? For me, it's being in the mindset to create when I am able!

After They Left
(click for details)
Sometimes when people leave, the space they filled seems so empty. A little bit of you goes with them, and their echo is all around you.

Click on any photo you would like to see closer!
Come see my latest postcards I've received on Postcards Buffet!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for listening to your own needs. :) Stressing out about artmaking makes it hard to paint *and* hard to enjoy anything else because so many "shoulds" get involved! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I to get overwhelmed and lost in all the marketing that I loose my creativity and my purpose. It is ok to step back sometimes and you are a strong person for being able to do so. As far as the art shows right there with you. I want to do them but they are costly and a lot of work to do alone. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Please leave a comment - they mean a lot.
Thanks for coming by to visit!