Monday, December 26, 2011

Postcard Project

I have been wanting to create art for some time, but have been prevented by health issues and time constraints. I started a project on Saturday, sort of an experiment, and thought I would show the steps of what I am doing. In this post I showed some paint on deliwrap papers, paint I was using up as I worked on lesson from the workshop. I used those papers in this project. I covered a piece of foam core board with some of the papers in anticipation of making them into postcards.

I covered the piece of foam core with Polymer Medium as glue

then I added the painted deliwrap papers, some whole sheets and some torn ones.

After the glue dries, the board is bending, so I put some old very heavy flat irons on it to help it flatten out and leave it for awhile.

This step I really should have done first, but I measured it to see how many 4 x 6 postcards I could get out of it and cut the piece down with a rotary cutter.

I measured out the postcards and drew lines to help in placement of the collage pieces and for cutting purposes later.

While that was drying, I started sorting through my collection of scraps; some are held in this old red metal shoeshine box.

I love the old shoe form on the inside of the lid! And this is not the only container of small scraps and bits. I still struggle with the best organizational methods for this art genre!

Here are just two drawers of old papers and images. They add up fast!

These are what I have chosen to sort through for this project. Since the colors of the base  are so bright, I am looking for more neutral add-ons, plus some fibers for texture.

This is the first layer drying.

Click on any of the photos if you want to see more detail.

I will continue to work on the project this week and take more pictures. The painted deliwrap papers also make a textural contribution, and I am enjoying this process very much. Check back later to see how it's progressing!


Come see my latest postcards I've received on Postcards Buffet!


2 comments:

  1. Great project and love the colors. Happy to see you creating.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like seeing the process and I love the bright colors. I'm glad you are having the energy to do this. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Please leave a comment - they mean a lot.
Thanks for coming by to visit!