Saturday, July 10, 2010

Postcards

I spent this afternoon tidying up and puttering around my studio. I made a card and envelope for an 83 year old gentleman in Holland who was kind enough to send me stamps after I sent him a postcard on Postcrossing. Then I sent another postcard to Taiwan; that got me thinking about the Sunday Postcard Challenge site I had stumbled on a few weeks back. So I pulled out this and that and created 2 postcards, one for this Sunday's (tomorrow) challenge and another I sent to a friend.

The challenge is "Babies" and I designed something a bit different than the usual baby theme:
The background is watercolor, then I stamped the corners. I added a piece of antique gold over netting lace, and then put a tape transfer of a mother and baby over the lace. The transfer is from a 1907 postcard from Holland. The final embellishments were two dragonflies in alternate corners, colored with sharpies and Starlight pens. I'm really happy with the way it turned out! (If you want to see it closer, just click on it.)

On the other postcard (which was not for the challenge), I created a faux Fresco look, again using watercolors and rubber stamps:


I'm pretty pleased with this one too!

Is it hot where you are? It sure has been here, and dry too! I was so hoping that it would rain today, but so far not a drop. My impatiens let me know pretty quickly when they need a drink, and I have to be on top of it to keep the other plants watered. I already lost one plant in a pot with mixed plants in it, so I hope that will be the only one. Ah yes, the middle of summer is here!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Sister! Those postcards are gorgeous! I'd love to learn how to do that!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've put you down for the Rewind Week! It's going to be a lot of fun!

    Angela
    www.sewloquacious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous artwork, beautifully created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of your postcards are superb & thanks for sharing how you made them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh very beautiful, indeed!!! Your work is gorgeous and I love how you describe the process...it's wonderful!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards, and thanks for sharing the process!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab art work, love the image you used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are both lovely cards!

    It was hot here earlier in the week but thankfully cooled down to a comfortable level today - yay. Stay cool!

    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both your pieces - the first definitely fits the bill for SPA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely cards and thanks for joining us at SPA :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exquisitely crafted!!! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, it's warm here and so dry! Both postcards are really good, but I love the colours of the 2nd one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for coming by to visit...Your blog is wonderful! I love all of your work...and also want to say that I love the name "Belle South"--how clever!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Please leave a comment - they mean a lot.
Thanks for coming by to visit!